Whether you are someone who likes to do a variety of household jobs all by yourself or someone who often works on projects that involve wood, metals, masonry, etc. there are some tools that you just cannot do without. A drill is one of such power tool that must be in your arsenal if you want to complete a variety of tasks with efficiency and without any hassle. A drill can bore holes into walls of the house for putting up wall mounts, artworks, etc. It can also be used to bore holes of proper sizes in wood planks or metal sheets while making or putting up cupboards, shelves, blinds, and a lot more.
In fact, there are a plethora of jobs that one can accomplish with the use of a drill which makes it a must-have tool if you are an avid DIYer or do not want to call in a professional every time you have a fix a furniture or a furnishing. It makes life easier and simpler and helps you complete projects that you would love to work on in your leisure time. However, all these can be possible only when you have the right drill in your toolbox. As such, it is important that you choose a corded drill that would suit you the best and allow you to complete all tasks with convenience and accuracy.
Types of Drills – Corded and Cordless
Although a lot of factors must be considered before you choose a drill for yourself, the most important happens to be the source of power. Drills are categorized into two types depending on the source of their power – corded and cordless. As the name suggests, corded drills must be connected to a power source while working to get the necessary power. Cordless drills, on the other hand, do not require to be connected to a power source at the time of working because they operate on batteries. Both cordless and corded drills are quite popular in the market and it totally depends on you and your needs which one would be the best for you.
Types of Corded Drills
Corded drills are, no doubt, a great choice if you want to carry out a variety of household and professional tasks. That being said, it is important to understand that corded drills can be of different types and choosing the right type of corded drill is important if you want to accomplish your task with perfection.
Drill/Driver: This type of drills is the most commonly used drills. Normally they tend to have a pistol grip or may be a T-handle. They are really easy to use and the best part of using them is that, irrespective of the kind of project you are handling, you can rest assured that you are going to get the best result.
Hammer Drill: hammer drills are sort of a special kind of drill. The normal drills tend to just rotate, where as a hammer drill comes with some extra power due to its back and forth motion. In case you wish to set up a shelve on your concrete wall, you can certainly use this type of drill. The best advantage of using this type of drill is that you can turn off the hammer feature as and when required and use it as a normal drill as well.
Rotary Hammer Drill: This type of drill is normally used at the construction site where heavy-duty performance is required. They work in a similar way that of a hammer drill, but the impact generated by a rotary hammer drill is far more significant. Alongside all these benefits, this type of drill has a better durability as well and that is the reason why this type of drill is preferred by the professionals.
Angle Drill: This is indeed a special type of drill and mostly electricians and plumbers would like to have one with them. These drills are specially design to fit in tight spaces where you cannot get your work done using a normal drill. In case you find yourself in such tight corners where you are unable to use any normal drill, you can try an angle drill and it should be done.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Corded Drills
Here are the advantages of using a corded drill:
- Corded drills come with lot more power compared to the cordless drills. Since he cordless drills are run by batteries the maximum power that you can get is always limited and the fact that batteries will start dying after sometime you will never be able to get the same power throughout your work.
- Corded drills are always ready to use. As far as cordless drills are concern, you will have to make sure you check on the batteries or at least put them on charge before you use them.
- For a cordless drill its important that you make sure you have a spare set of batteries with you. Since in the long run the batteries will die eventually, its better to have an alternative with you, so that you do not have to wait for the batteries to get recharged. But with the corded drills you do not have to waste any time whatsoever. As long as there is power available, you can easily use this type of drill as long as you need.
- In case you are not going to use your drill too often, buying a cordless will be problematic. Well, normally if you do not use your drill for long time the batteries tend to power down and can even die permanently. So, either you will have to wait for the batteries to recharge or buy a new one, where as in case of corded drills, you can just unpack it, plug it in and get going with your work.
- Last but not least, if you compare the price range for corded and cordless drills, you are surely going to get a corded drill at a lower price range.
The disadvantages of the corded drills are:
- The only problem that you might face with the corded drills is the down time due to outage of power.
- Since you have to have a power source to run this type of drill, you need to use extensions, which can cause some issues to your family members while working at home.
- Unless you have a power outlet in the outer part of your house, you might not be able to use the corded drills.
Why Choose Corded Drills over Cordless Drills
There are several reasons that have made corded drills more popular to the users than cordless drills. Here are some of the main reasons why one should choose corded drills over cordless drills:
Power: if you wish to choose between cordless and corded drills, you have to consider the power factor. Corded drills are said to be powerful than the cordless ones. The reason why corded drills are powerful is really simple to understand. Since the cordless drills are run on batteries so they have a limitation of power, whereas the corded drills are connected to power plug points therefore, having an unlimited supply of power. Although the max power for a corded drill will depend on the motor that it uses but still it will have more power than any of the cordless drill.
Speed and torque: Speed is the most important part of a drill. Speed determines how fast the drill head is rotating. Although in general you are said to get more speed if you have more power, but it has some dependency on the motor speed as well. The torque is the amount of force the drill head can apply on the subject. These 2 parameters determine how much force you can actually apply on the subject and how quickly you can do your work. If you compare the corded and cordless drills, the corded ones are said to have more speed and torque. Although for home based DIY jobs, you can prefer to buy a cordless drill as the amount of speed and torque required will be good enough.
Size and weight: corded drills might seem to be a lot more heavier and larger units, but practically they are light in nature and are quite smaller. And since they are small compared to the cordless drills, they can used in somewhat tight spaces where the cordless drills might not fit.
Durability: Corded drills certainly have a lot more durability than the cordless drills. Even if you do not use the drill often, a corded drill will provide you same work performance every time, whereas a cordless drill will surely have issues with its battery and might not function properly as the batteries tend to die with time if not used on a regular basis.
Factors to consider before Buying a Corded Drill
There are certain things that one must consider before they choose the Best Corded Drill for themselves. Here is a list of such factors that you must check:
Speed: corded drills have higher speed in general but while choosing the best amongst them you need to choose the one that has an option to use variable speed. This will enable you to use a single drill for different projects. With the variable speed option, you can easily control the speed as and when required. In case your sole purpose of buying a drill is to make holes, then you can buy a high speed drill and it should be alright.
Power: The corded drill offers a lot of power and more the power the better it is for heavy duty applications that require drilling into hard materials. It comes with a different range of power to suit different types of projects. An 8 amp corded drill can do every home-based projects easily and more power can be useful for doing the industrial big projects.
Grip: if you search online you will see that there are different kinds of corded drills available with different grips. Mainly you get to buy pistol, T-handle, D-handle or spade handle but technically it’s up to you to choose the one that will be convenient to you.
Chuck: This is the part of the drill where the bit is inserted in the drill. The chuck comes with various options that range from ¼-inch to ½-inch. The 1/2-inch chuck works best for the heavy-duty industrial applications while a 3/8-inch one is best for home-based applications. The corded drills come with two kinds of chucks, keyless and with a key.
Forward or reverse switch: This option is available in the corded drills which allow removing of the screws. This feature can be very useful when the user needs to dismantle furniture and more.
Cord length: while buying a corded drill, you need to check whether the length of the cord is good enough or not. Although you can use an extension, but still having a long cord length can be useful too.
Best Corded Drills in the Market
Here is a list of the Best Corded Drill reviews for you to short-list and purchase the one that suits your projects and preferences the best:
1. SKIL 6335-02 7.0 Amp 1/2 In. Corded Drill:
This corded drill is going to help you out with serious DIY projects and big projects by delivering great power from the powerful motor that it has. You can easily penetrate through any hard or soft material with this one of the Best Corded Drill. This drill comes with a number of features that enhances its performance and also makes it comfortable and convenient for the user.
- Has a 7.0 Amp powerful motor that can be used for big and tough projects.
- Side-assist handles increases control and comfort of the user.
- Keyless chuck can be used for tough projects.
- Variable speed trigger for accelerating the speed with enhanced and controlled drilling speed.
- Impressive performance and power.
- Variable speed trigger works great.
- It is not light-weight; it can strain your arm while using it.
- The keyless chuck is attached on the cord instead of the drill body, which could be inconvenient for the users.
2. Makita 6302H:
This drill uses advanced technology to produce speed and power that is suitable for heavy duty applications. It is light in weight and compact in design which makes it even more attractive for the users to buy. According to the Best Corded Drill reviews, it provides convenience and comfort while you can get your big projects done easily.
- 5 AMP powerful motor suitable for heavy-duty applications.
- Variable speed from 0 to 550 RPM, for controlled drilling speed.
- Compact and weighs only 4.8 lbs.
- Comes with a belt clip.
- Lock-on button and a large reversing switch.
- Side-handle for enhanced control of operations.
- Delivers great power and consistent performance throughout.
- Impressive durability.
- Light-weight, which makes it comfortable to use for long hours.
- The location of the chuck key makes it inconvenient for some users to use it.
- The reversing switch is also hard to use while holding on to the pistol grip, due to the switch being located on the end of the handle.
3. Genesis GD38B VSR:
This corded drill provides impressive power with its 4.2 AMP motor and has plenty of impressive features that make it one of the best corded electric drills and has great Corded Drill reviews as well. The manufacturer also brings this product to its users with a two-year warranty period.
- 2 Amp powerful motor suitable for all drilling applications and driving applications.
- Comes with the Variable speed of 0 to 300 RPM and a reversible motor for multi-purpose uses.
- Lock-on button and belt-clip for enhanced convenience.
- Keyless chuck for faster changing of bits.
- Great power and torque that works for heavy drilling applications, effectively.
- Great corded drill at an affordable price.
- The performance of the chuck is a turn off for the users.
- For drilling through heavy metals, many users have reported of its incapability in that area.
4. Hitachi D10VH:
This corded drill delivers high-quality performance and torque that is suitable for multiple drilling and fastening projects. This reversible corded drill can drill into tough materials like metal, wood, and stainless steel. It is also lightweight and comfortable to use. Here are the features offered by the Hitachi D10VH:
- 6 Amp powerful motor which combines high speed and optimal torque to drill into every hard or soft material, easily.
- 1 in-lbs of maximum torque, best suited for high-speed applications.
- Form-fit palm grip enhances comfort and ensures increased control while it reduces vibrations.
- Key-less chuck of 3/8-inches makes bit changing faster and easier.
- Variable speed regulator switch for easy operations.
- Light-weight and compact.
- Easy to operate and lightweight.
- The metal chuck works smoothly.
- Power and speed are incredible.
- Comes with no handle on the side which makes it inconvenient for some users.
- Makes high pitched noise while drilling that can be annoying.
5. Makita 6408K:
This is another drill that has good Corded Drill reviews because of the features it offers like variable speed, low noise while drilling and more. You can easily power through the tough materials with this high performing corded drill. It is also light in weight that makes it comfortable while using it.
- 9 AMP powerful motor suitable for every application.
- Keyless chuck enables faster and easier bit changes.
- Variable speed of 0 to 2500 RPM suitable for drilling through almost every hard or soft material, easily.
- Makes minimum noise while drilling to provide a quieter and comfortable working experience.
- Reversing switch is convenient to use.
- A large trigger switch allows easy operations.
- In-line handle increases control.
- Impressive durability.
- Variable speed control works smoothly.
- Quieter operations and has good power.
- The keyless chuck does not tighten properly and loses grip on the bits.
6. Genesis GSHD1290:
This spade handle drill works efficiently for drilling applications. It has good Corded Drill reviews for its incredible performance in projects that require larger drills with high power. This powerful corded drill offers variable speed and also has enhanced durability due to the aluminium die cast housing. It can easily drill through tough materials like steel and wood. There are plenty of important features that make the drilling experience better and comfortable.
- 9 AMP powerful motor that is suitable for heavy duty applications.
- ½ inch chuck works great for large bits changing and mixing purposes.
- The spade handle and side handle enhances control.
- 2-years warranty period offered by the manufacturer.
- Great performance in mixing.
- Cheap and yet extremely powerful and great control features.
- Variable speed control is perfect for tough projects.
- It is quite heavy which can strain the user’s arm.
- The durability is reported by many users to be a turn-off.
See Also: 10 Best Cordless Drills with Reviews
7. Hitachi D13VF:
This corded drill has a high-performance motor that can deliver an immense amount of power at variable drilling speeds for making your drilling experience great. It has exciting and innovative features like the form-fit palm grip handle and high torque that makes it convenient and comfortable to use for a wide range of applications. It is also lightweight and offers a great durability that increases user’s satisfaction and meets all drilling expectations.
- 9 AMP powerful motor ideal for any heavy duty applications.
- Variable speed control trigger can be controlled with two-fingers only.
- 6 inch-lbs of maximum torque applicable for high torque projects.
- Form-fit palm designed handle for increased comfort and control.
- Increased durability with contractor-grade cast aluminium gear housing.
- Belt hook enhances control to prevent the drill from accidental falls.
- Reduced gear strain with double gear reduction while high torque is produced.
- The variable speed and 9 AMP motor deliver great performance for various projects.
- The electric brake is impressive and works great.
- The durability is an issue for many users.
8. Makita DS4012:
This corded drill is best known for its long durability and great performance in heavy-duty industrial applications. It has impressive features that are very useful and makes the big projects easy to finish. It comes with variable speed for enhanced drilling performance and can drill through a wide range of hard and soft materials easily.
- 5 AMP powerful motor suitable for heavy duty industrial drilling projects.
- Variable speed of 0 to 600 RPM improves the drilling performance.
- Reverse and forward lever increase the convenience of the user.
- Weighs only 6.2 lbs for reduced fatigue of the user.
- The D-handle can rotate 360 degrees useful for multi-position uses.
- Easily makes big holes in hard materials as it has plenty of power.
- Great performance in mixing and drilling, both.
- The reverse trigger could have a switch for increasing the convenience of the users.
See Also: 9 Best Drill Bit Sharpeners with Reviews
9. BLACK+DECKER DR260C:
This powerful and compact corded drill is made for tough projects that most other corded drills fail to do. It has a variable speed control feature that can help in tough drilling and driving jobs. It can drill into a wide range of hard materials like wood, metal and thick plastic very easily. It also drives screws for fastening purposes with ease.
- 2 Amp powerful motor for tough projects.
- Compact and light-weight.
- Variable speed control from 0 to 1,500 RPM.
- Keyless chuck allows easy and fast bit changes.
- Drives screws for fastening purposes in a variety of materials.
- The comfortable handle and the lightweight enable easy driving of the screws.
- The power it offers works great for most home-based projects.
- The lock-on button is very useful in various situations.
- The drill bit stored at the end of the handle can be inconvenient for the user when in use.
- The air vent that comes with this drill can cause the components inside the drill to get damaged if used outside.
10. BLACK+DECKER BEDEDMT Matrix AC Drill:
You can easily attach different tools with this drill and you won’t need any other tool to do so. The power is sufficient enough to complete your drilling projects. It is light in weight and its compact design makes it easy for the users to use it in small workplaces easily. It provides enough control and a number of other features too.
- 0 AMP powerful motor suitable for most applications.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Change of a number of tool attachments is enabled with the Matrix Quick Connect System.
- Prevents stripping and overdriving of screws with the extra control provided by the 11 position clutch.
- The matrix quick connect system is an added benefit which is impressive.
- Delivers power as promised.
- The price is remarkable for the drill.
- The keyless chuck is tightened too much when arrives.
- Many users have reported of the parts getting damaged very soon.
After going through the Corded Drill reviews and understanding your expectations from the corded drills, you can select the one that suits your requirement. The above-mentioned reviews are the best ones that are attracting most of the users today. You can easily short-list from the reviews and purchase the Best Corded Drill for yourself, today.